Mississippi Foster Care
Rates (Foster Care)
Foster care rate paid at:
Mississippi foster care rates:
|Service Level of Care
||Amount per day
Requirements (Foster Care)
Foster Care Resource Requirements:
o Must be age 21 at the time of application.
o Must be a resident of Mississippi
o Must have self-supporting income
o Must have approved references and background checks
o Must complete at least 15.5 hours pre-service training and 10 hours in-service training every year and 20 within two years to maintain a license
o Must have smoke alarm, fire extinguisher, telephone, and transportation
o Must have approved water/sanitation system
o Must have adequate space and beds to provide each foster child his or her own bed. (No more than 4 children already in the home
o May be single, married or divorced
Training (Education and Training):
- Mississippi Pre-Service training & PATH (Parents As Tender Healers)
• Completion of required agency forms.
• Medical information completed by a physician.
• You can be single or married. Couples must be legally married.
• Verification of marriages and divorces, if applicable.
• Currently reside in the state of Mississippi.
• Applicants must be at least 21 yrs of age
• Child Abuse Registry checks for all adults in the home.
• Police record clearance for all adults in the home.
• References for employment and character.
• Sanitation and water inspection, if not on approved system.
• Home visits and interviews with all household members 14 yrs of age and over
• Active telephone service in the home.
• Smoke alarm and no less than a 5 pound ABC-type fire extinguisher.
• Minimum income that proves applicant is self-supporting and could financially meet the needs of an additional family member.
• Transportation available at all times.
• Participate in at least 15.5 hours of pre-service training for a child.
• Child must have his/her own bed, and no adult or child of the other sex may sleep in the same room with him/her. No more than a total of 5 children in the home.
Foster Care Placements:
Mississippi requires the following types of placement resources to be licensed/approved/certified:
Mississippi uses the following terms to authorize a resource family for foster care and (or) adoption after completion of education and training in state:
Verified (Foster Home)
Mississippi resource training program is as follows:
Mississippi Pre-Service Training and PATH (Parents As Tender Healers)
The term ‘Licensed” is used to authorize a resource family for foster care and (or) adoption after completion of education and training in state
Mississippi accepts the following training programs as comparable to its education and training program licensing:
- Other: Varies with each Region in Mississippi; and the Training must meet Mississippi curriculum.
Wait Time - (License/Certification/Approval - Education and Training)
Average Length of time it takes for a home to be licensed/approved/certified:
Length of time a license is valid before renewal required:
Mississippi offers classes (education and training) to become licensed/certified/approved:
Wait Time for Criminal Records Results
Wait time for fingerprint results are:
Live Scan or other technology
- State: 15-30 days
- Local/County: 24 hours
Manually - Fingerprint Card
- State: Not Offered
- Local/County: Not Offered